Liechtenstein Fact File
Location: Liechtenstein is a country in Central Europe. It is landlocked (doesn’t have a coastline) and is bordered by Switzerland and Austria.
Population: 36,000 (approx)
Area: 160 km sq
Currency: Swiss Franc
Official Language: German
The Flag of Liechtenstein
Other Facts About Liechtenstein
- Liechtenstein is the only country to exist entirely in the Alps mountain range.
- The largest town in the country is Schaan.
- The first factory in Liechtenstein was opened in 1836. It made ceramics.
- Liechtenstein was neutral during World War 2, following the lead of its neighbour, Switzerland.
- Women were given the right to vote in 1984.
- The River Rhine forms the border between Liechtenstein and Switzerland.
- Liechtenstein is the smallest country to win an Olympic medal. In 1980, at the Winter Olympic Games, Hanni Wenzel won two gold medals and one silver medal.
- Liechtenstein doesn’t have a military. The army was disbanded in 1868.
- The Prince of Liechtenstein lives in Vaduz Castle.
- There are less than 30 policemen in all of Liechtenstein.
- The national anthem of Liechtenstein is called Up on the Young Rhine.
- The country’s national day is on 15th August.