Today is Bastille Day in France, an annual celebration to mark the anniversary of the Storming of the Bastille (see below). The celebrations include military parades, concerts, parties and fireworks.
What happened today in history?
- 1789 – The Bastille prison in Paris is stormed during the French Revolution.
- 1865 – The summit of The Matterhorn (a mountain in the Pennine Alps) is reached for the first time by Edward Whymper.
- 1881 – Billy the Kid is killed by Pat Garrett.
- 1976 – Canada abolishes capital punishment.
Who was born today?
- 1862 – Gustav Klimt – Austrian artist.
- 1868 – Gertrude Bell – English archaeologist and spy.
Who died today?
- 1881 – Billy the Kid – American outlaw.