What happened today in history?
- 1567– James VI is crowned King of Scotland in Stirling.
- 1588 – The English fleet, under the command of Francis Drake and Charles Howard, defeat the Spanish Armada.
- 1836 – Inauguration of the Arc de Triomphe, Paris, France.
- 1981 – Marriage of Charles, Prince of Wales and Lady Diana Spencer at St Paul’s Cathedral.
Who was born today?
- 1972- Wil Wheaton – American actor (Star Trek: The Next Generation, Stand By Me).
- 1973 – Stephen Dorff – American actor (Backbeat, Blade).
Who died today?
- 1833 – William Wilberforce – English politician and philanthropist.
- 1890 – Vincent van Gogh – Dutch artist.
- 1983 – David Niven – English actor.