Here are some facts about Cassandra Clare, the author of young adult novels.
- Cassandra Clare was born on 27th July 1973.
- Her father, Richard Rumelt, was an author, and a professor at a business school.
- Her real name is Judith Rumelt.
- She travelled a lot as a child, staying in Switzerland, England and France.
- Cassandra went to high school in Los Angeles.
- Before being a published author, Cassandra Clare used to write fan fiction (stories based on the characters and settings of popular novels). She wrote the Draco Trilogy (set in the world of the J.K. Rowling’s Harry Potter books) and The Very Secret Diaries (set in J.R.R Tolkien’s Middle Earth).
- Her first novel to be published was City of Bones. It is the first book of the The Mortal Instruments series and it was published in 2007. The other titles in the series are: City of Ashes, City of Glass, City of Fallen Angels, City of Lost Souls and City of Heavenly Fire.
- She is very good friends with Holly Black, another author of young adult fiction.
- Cassandra is married to Joshua Lewis.
- In addition to The Mortal Instruments series, her other series include: The Infernal Devices Trilogy and the Magisterium Series.
- When she was growing up she loved to read books by the Bronte sisters, Tolkien, the Chronicles of Narnia, and the Dark is Rising series by Susan Cooper.
- She has been a full-time writer since 2006.
- She often writes in coffee shops and restaurants.
- Her friends call her Cassie.
- The Mortal Instruments series has been filmed. City of Bones (2013) stars Lily Collins as Clary Fray and Jamie Campbell Bower as Jace Wayland.
What next? Find out about other famous children’s authors.