Today is Yorkshire Day, celebrated since 1975 to promote the historic English county.
It is also World Scout Scarf Day. On August 1 every year scouts (both old and new) are encouraged to wear their neckerchiefs to promote the spirit of scouting. This event has taken place since 2007.
What happened today in history?
- 1831 – A new London Bridge opens.
- 1834 – The Slavery Abolition Act comes into force, abolishing slavery in the British Empire.
- 1855 – The summit of Mount Rosa (the second highest mountain in the Alps) is reached for the first time.
- 1981 – MTV starts broadcasting in the United States.
Who was born today?
- 1819 – Herman Melville – American writer (Moby Dick).
- 1942 – Jerry Garcia – American singer-songwriter (Grateful Dead).
- 1948 – David Gemmell – British writer.
Who died today?
- 30 BC – Mark Antony – Roman politician and general (supporter of Julius Caesar).
- 1903 – Calamity Jane – American frontierswoman and scout.