Here are some facts about The Shard, the skyscraper built on the site of Southwark Towers in London.
- The Shard is the tallest building in Western Europe.
- It has 95 storeys.
- It was designed in 2000 by the architect, Renzo Piano.
- Despite opposition from local authorities, planning consent for the construction of The Shard was given in 2003. The building was deemed to have an ‘exceptional design’.
- The Shard contains office space, retail space, restaurants, a hotel and residential units.
- The building appeared in the 2012 film The Snowman and The Snowdog before the building was open to the public.
- Over 10,000 panes of glass were used to glaze The Shard.
- There are over 300 flights of stairs, over 40 lifts (elevators) and the total floor space is more than 25 acres.
- Most of the materials used to build the skyscraper have been recycled.
Check out this time lapse video of The Shard’s construction.
What next? Find out more facts about London by visiting our London resources page.