Here are some facts about the Ancient Greek God Apollo.
- Apollo’s father was Zeus and his mother was a Titaness called Leto.
- Artemis, the hunter, is his twin sister.
- In Ancient Greek mythology, Apollo was the Sun God. He was responsible for the movement of the Sun across the sky. He moved the Sun with a chariot pulled by golden horses.
- Apollo was also the god of archery, prophecy and music.
- He was a skilled musician and played the lyre.
- Apollo killed the Python at Delphi, allowing him to establish the famous Oracle.
- Apollo was proud and artistic. He could be cruel, yet was very caring towards his mother and sister.
- He carried a golden bow and arrows and he often appeared to be gold and shimmering himself, like the Sun.
- Apollo was associated with woods and forests, and the raven was his special bird.
- He had three sons: Orpheus, Asclepius and Aristaaeus.
- Apollo had healing powers.
Learn more about some of the Greek gods and goddesses – click the link.