Here are some facts about the Greek Goddess Demeter:
- Demeter was the daughter of the Titans, Rhea and Cronos. She was the sister of Zeus, Hera, Poseidon and Pluto.
- She was the goddess of the harvest and the Earth, and she controlled the fertility and growth of all fruits and crops.
- Demeter carried out her duties with the help of her daughter Persephone.
- She was distraught when Persephone was captured by Pluto and forced to marry him. Zeus decided that Persephone must spend half of her time in the Underworld with Pluto and the other half on Earth with Demeter. When Persephone is away, Demeter mourns and the Earth experiences Autumn and Winter. When Demeter is reunited with her daughter, the plants and crops start to bloom and grow and the Earth has its Spring and Summer.
- Demeter is generous and caring.
- She is often pictured holding corn.
Click the link to find out more about the Ancient Greek gods and goddesses.