Here are some facts about Jeff Kinney, the author of the Diary of a Wimpy Kid books.
- Jeff Kinney was born on 19th February, 1971 in Fort Washington, Maryland (US)
- He is married to Julie and has two sons, Will and Grant.
- The Diary of a Wimpy Kid started life online in 2004 and became really popular (receiving over 80 million visitors). Some of the fans wanted a print version, so Jeff Kinney released the first Diary of a Wimpy Kid book in 2007.
- Over 75 million copies of books in the Diary of a Wimpy Kids series have been sold.
- At the time of writing, there have been 3 film versions of the books (Diary of a Wimpy Kid, Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Roderick Rules and Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Dog Days)
- As well as being an author, Jeff Kinney is also a cartoonist and online game creator. He designed the Poptropica website.
- Jeff plays volleyball twice a week.
- He didn’t keep a diary when he was younger, but he now writes in a journal.
- Jeff Kinney is Cub Scout master.
- when he started to make lots of money from the success of his books, Jeff bought the house next door to his home. He uses this as his writing space.
What next? Learn more about other important children’s authors.