Here are some facts about Mick Inkpen, the children’s book author and illustrator.
- Mick Inkpen was born in 1952 in Romford in Essex, England.
- He is good friends with the children’s author Nick Butterworth.
- Mick Inkpen’s is best known for his Kipper the Dog series and his Wibbly Pig series.
- His books have sold more than 4 million copies.
- Before he became a writer and illustrator of children’s books, he was a graphic designer.
- He used to write a comic strip The Blue Balloon (with Nick Butterworth) for the Sunday Express newspaper.
- He loved English lessons when he was at school.
- When he was a child he enjoyed painting, but he wanted to be a railway signalman when he grew up.
- He has collaborated with his daughter, Chloe Inkpen. She is also an illustrator and author of children’s books.
- He has 2 children.
- He enjoyed reading Jenning’s Little Hut by Anthony Buckeridge when he was at school.
- He loves London and says it is his favourite city.
- He has won many awards for his books, including, The Red House Children’s Book Award for Threadbear and The Smarties Award for Kipper’s A-Z.
- His earliest memory is watching blue butterflies flying as he ran through a meadow.
What next? Visit our Books & Authors page to discover more facts about famous children’s authors.