Here are some facts about Lionel Messi, the incredible Argentinian footballer.
- Lionel Messi was born on 24th June 1987 in Rosario, Santa Fe Province, Argentina.
- His father, Jorge, was a steelworker, and he also coached the local youth football team.
- Messi played for Grandoli (his father’s club) at the age of five. He then went on to play for Newell’s Old Boys in Rosario, his home town. This team only lost one game in four years.
- Messi suffered with growth hormone deficiency. Barcelona gave Messi a trial when he was eleven and agreed to give him a place in their youth academy as well as paying the medical bills for his treatment for growth hormone deficiency. Messi moved to Spain with his father.
- Messi made his league debut for Barcelona on 16th October 2004. He was just 17.
- Messi scored his first La Liga goal on 1st May 2005.
- At the time of writing, Messi has scored more than 700 goals for Barcelona and Argentina, more than 400 of them in La Liga matches.
- He has made more than 140 appearances for Argentina, scoring more than 70 goals.
- Messi has won many trophies with Barcelona and he’s been awarded many personal medals and awards, such as the Ballon d’Or a record 6 times.
- He also owns most of Barcelona’s goal-scoring records.
- He has scored more than 30 hat-tricks in his career.
- Messi was the top scorer in the Champions League in 2009, 2010, 2011 and 2012.
- He’s considered by most football experts to be the best footballer of his generation, although some would argue that Ronaldo is better.
- Lionel Messi is 5′ 7″ tall (1.69 metres) and he wears the number 10 shirt for Barcelona.
- He has won more than 30 trophies (including 10 La Liga titles).
- Messi has more than 180 assists in his career.
- He has three sons with his wife, Antonella Roccuzzo. They are called Thaigo, Mateo and Ciro.
- In September 2020, a 2004 Panini Mega Cracks Lionel Messi Rookie Card sold for over $100,000.
- A popular cougar at the Saransk Zoo in Mordovia, Russia is named Messi. after the player.
- Red is his favourite colour.
- His favourite musician is Sergio Torres, and his favourite book is El Martin Fierro by Jorge Luis Borges.