Mr Doodle is an artist from the UK who specialises in Doodle Art.
Facts About Mr Doodle
- Mr Doodle’s real name is Sam Cox.
- He was born in Kent, UK, in 1994.
- He studied illustration at the University of the West of England in Bristol.
- As a child he was a compulsive doodler, and he covered his school books with his artwork. He was inspired by the Crash Bandicoot videogames and the cartoon Wacky Races.
- Mr Doodle usually wears clothes decorated with his own doodle artwork.
- He often works for 15 hours each day. Some of this time is spent drawing, but he also films, makes animations and responds to emails.
- His work is mainly black line work on white backgrounds, and his distinctive, busy ‘graffiti spaghetti’ style, including cartoony characters, objects and symbols, seems to spread across like a ‘developing drawing virus’.
- According to Mr Doodle, his artworks are all pieces of Doodle Land, a vast world of white in the Paper Galaxy, constantly being covered with doodles.
- He has produced artwork on walls, canvases, vehicles, clothing and furniture.
- He was produced artwork for MTV, Adidas, Cass Art, Fendi, Puma, and Samsung.
- Mr Doodle often takes part in live drawing sessions,creating artworks in front of an audience.
- In 2019 a huge Mr Doodle canvas called Spring sold in Tokyo for more than $900,000.
- His 2018 Doodle World exhibition in Seoul, South Korea, featured artwork depicting doodled versions of famous landmarks, famous people, and famous works of art (including the Mona Lisa, and the The Scream)
- His artwork has featured in exhibitions and public projects all over the world, including China, Italy, Japan, Russia, Mixico, the US, Belgium and Singapore.
A lot of art is lacking a sense of humour. It’s a fun thing to be able to draw and create your own world, and sometimes it is funny. I’m not afraid of people laughing at me or if they don’t get it.Mr Doodle
- He doesn’t plan any of his works in advance beyond having a theme in his head.
- He likes the characters in the Super Mario videogames, and the Line Friends charcaters.
- He has completed more than 400,000 doodles.
- In 2021, Mr Doodle (Sam Cox) married Mrs Doodle (Alana Kutsenko). She adds colours to the works created by Mr Doodle, treating his doodles as pages from colouring books. In public she wears colourful doodled clothing, whereas the doodled clothes worn by Mr Doodle tend to be black and white.
More Information About Mr Doodle
Is Mr Doodle inspired by Keith Haring?
Mr Doodle’s style has been described as Keith Haring illustrating a Where’s Waldo? / Where’s Wally? book.
What markers does Mr Doodle use?
Mr Doodle uses different pens for different projects. He sometimes uses spray paints for his large works.
How did Mr Doodle become famous?
Mr Doodle became much more well-known after he posted a Facebook video of himself completing a 60-hour doodling marathon of the whole interior of a shop in London.
My videos on social media have helped me reach new countries and have lead to offers of me exhibiting my work around the world.Mr Doodle
Is Mr Doodle autistic?
Mr Doodle is not autistic, nor does he have OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder).
Jokiningly, he says he may suffer from Obsessive Compulsive Doodling.
In 2020 he experienced a bout of psychosis and was treated in a psychiatric ward. For a while, he was convinced that the nurses and doctors were Kanye West and Banksy.