Marcus Rashford is a British international footballer and an effective campaigner against child food poverty.
Disclaimer: This post includes Amazon product images that include affiliate links to Amazon. As an Amazon Associate, Primary Facts earns from qualifying purchases.
Facts About Marcus Rashford
- Marcus Rashford was born in 1997 in Manchester England.
- His birthday is on 31st October – Halloween.
- His mother was a single parent, and she often had to work more than one job to feed her family. She was sometimes forced to skip meals so that Marcus Rashford and his two older brothers (Dwaine and Dane) and his two older sisters (Chantelle and Claire) could eat.
- Marcus Rashford’s cousin is the footballer Lois Maynard, who has played for several teams including Halifax Town, Tranmere Rovers, Salford City, Stockport County, and Oldham Athletic.
- At the age of five, Marcus Rashford played football for Fletcher Moss Rangers. He was originally a goalkeeper before switching to forward.
- He joined the Manchester United academy programme at the age of seven, choosing Manchester over Everton or Liverpool.
- When he was eleven years old, Marcus Rashford was selected for the Manchester United Schoolboy Scholars scheme. He was the youngest player to do so.
- As a youngster, he played cage football with Paul Pogba and Jesse Lingard.
- In 2015, Marcus Rashford was named as a substitute for a Manchester United Premier League match against Watford. He wore the number 39 shirt but never made it onto the pitch.
- On 25 February 2016 Marcus Rashford made his Manchester United debut, scoring 2 goals against Midtjylland in the UEFA Europa League.
- He made his Premier League debut against Arsenal.
- By the end of the 2021/22 Premier League season, Marcus Rashford has scored 59 Premier League goals. His best goalscoring season was in 2019/20, when he scored 17 times in the Premier League.
- Before the start of the 2022/23 season, Marcus Rashford had played 46 times for England, scoring 12 goals.
- Marcus Rashford set up the In the Box campaign with Selfridges department store in 2019, providing homeless people with essential items over the Christmas period.
- In March 2020, working with the food waste charity FareShare, Marcus Rashford raised more than £20 million to provide meals to those children who weren’t receiving their free school meals due to the UK lockdown. More than 4 million meals were delivered.
- Marcus Rashford wrote an open letter to the UK government in June 2020, challenging them to address UK child poverty. The next day, the government implemented a policy to provide free meals during the summer holidays to those children who received free school meals during term time.
I don’t have the education of a politician, but I have a social education having lived through this and having spent time with the families and children most affected. These children matter… And as long as they don’t have a voice they will have mine.Marcus Rashford
Check out some more Marcus Rashford quotes.
- Marcus Rashford was made an MBE (Member of the Order of the British Empire) in October 2020.
- Marcus Rashford signed with Jay-Z’s agency Roc Nation in 2020.
- He won an award at the 2020 Pride of Britain Award ceremony for his efforts to eradicate child food poverty. He was named Campaigner of the Year by GQ, and he received a special award at the BBC Sports Personality of the Year.
- He published a children’s book called You Are a Champion. It won Book of the Year at the 2022 British Book Awards.
- Marcus Rashford is 5′ 11″.
- He enjoys playing Call of Duty and FIFA on his Playstation. He also likes playing online Monopoly.
- He signed with Nike when he was 11.
- Kellogg’s Fruit ‘n Fibre is his favourite cereal. He used to eat seven or eight bowls a day before he learned about the importance of good nutrition.
- He enjoys reading motivational books, such as Relentless by Tim Grover.
- He loves dogs and he has had an Italian Mastiff as a pet.
- Marcus Rashford was a guest editor of the Beano comic in 2022. He aslso appeared in some of the comic strips alongside some of the Beano characters, such as the Bash Street Kids, Billy Whizz, and Bananaman.