Here are some facts about the River Wensum in Norfolk.
- The River Wensum is a tributary of the River Yare (even though the Yare is larger than the Wensum).
- The river passes by Carrow Road (Norwich City FC’s stadium). One end of the ground was once named The River End.
- The name Wensum comes from the Old English for winding.
- The Wensum’s source is in northwest Nofolk, close to the villages of Colkirk and Whissonsett.
- It flows through several towns and villages, including: Sculthorpe, Fakenham, Great Ryburgh and Norwich.
- There are lots of water mills on the River Wensum, including: Hempton Mill, Guist Mill, Bintry Mill, Lyng Mill and Hellesdon Mill.
- The Wensum has three tributaries – River Tat, River Tud and River Ainse.
- The River Wensum is a chalk river and it is a Site of Special Scientific Interest.
- Its lower sections form part of the Norfolk Broads.
- The River Wensum is approximately 75km long.
- The river is popular among anglers for its barbel, chub and brown trout.
- Several bridges in Norwich span the River Wensum, including: Bishop Bridge (dating from 1345), Foundry Bridge, Carrow Bridge, and Whitefriars Bridge.
- The River Wensum joins the River Yare at Whitlingham.
Click here to find out some more facts about rivers.