Castle Stalker: Facts and Information

Here are some facts about Castle Stalker.

  • Castle Stalker is located on a tidal island on Loch Laich, north-east of Port Appin, Argyll, Scotland.
  • The castle is a keep with 4 floors.

  • The islet upon which the castle sits is known as the Rock of the Cormorants.
  • The castle can only be reached by boat.
  • In the 14th century a small fort stood where Castle Stalker stands today. It was built by Clan MacDougall.
  • In the mid-15th centurty, the Stewarts constructed the castle as it looks today.
  • During the Jacobite Rising in 1745 Castle Stalker was used as a troop garrison.

Stalker Castle

  • The castle was abandoned in around 1840, ownership having passed backwards and forwards between the Stewart clan and the Campbell clan.
  • In 1908 basic reconstruction work was carried out by Charles Stewart. In 1965 Lt. Col. D.R. Stewart Allward fully restored the building.
  • Castle Stalker has appeared in several films, including, Monty Python and the Holy Grail and Highlander: Endgame.
  • James IV of Scotland often visited Castle Stalker when he was on hunting trips to Argyll.
  • In Gaelic, Stalker means ‘hunter’ or ‘falconer’.
  • The castle is currently privately owned. The public can tour the building between the months of March and October. Check out the official website.

What next? Discover more castle facts by visiting our castle resources page.

Urquhart Castle: Facts and Information

Here are some facts about Urquhart Castle.

  • Urquhart Castle is situated on the bank of Loch Ness in the Highlands of Scotland, home of the famous Loch Ness Monster. It was built during the 13th and 16th centuries.
  • The castle grounds and towers offer some of the best views of Loch Ness, and many supposed monster sightings have been made there. The monster has been seen since the 7th century.

  • The medieval castle seen today was built on the site of an earlier castle.
  • The 6th century Irish monk, St. Columba is said to have visited the site and performed miracles there.
  • The walled part of the castle measures about 150 metres by 46 metres. A 30 metre wide dry moat also offered protection, although many visitors arrived by water.

Urquhart Castle

  • In the late 13th century, King Edward I of England controlled the castle. It was taken by the Scottish and in 1332 was the only castle in the Highlands to withstand English attacks.
  • During the 14th century, Urquhart Castle was controlled by the Scottish king, Robert the Bruce. Legend says that he was inspired to keep fighting the English by watching a spider spin its web.
  • The MacDonalds, Lords of the Isles attacked the castle several times during the 15th and 16th centuries. The Grant clan owned the castle from the 16th century until 1912.
  • One attack by the MacDonalds and Camerons in 1545 is known as the Great Raid. The attackers took most of the furniture, cannon and castle gates, as well as 2,000 cattle.
  • It is Scotland’s third most visited castle, after Edinburgh Castle and Stirling Castle. As well as having a museum and cinema, the castle also hosts wedding ceremonies during the year.
  • Much of Urquhart Castle was destroyed during 17th century fighting between the Jacobites and Williamites. Locals used the stones for building and a tower was damaged during a 1715 storm.

What next? Learn more castle facts by visiting our castles resources page.